Assessor  |   County Clerk  |   Court Clerk  |   District Attorney  |   District 1  |   District 2  |   District 3  |   Sheriff  |   Treasurer




To become the best planning organization in the State through dedication, organization, technology, and communication. The Planning Department is responsible for planning, subdivision, zoning, floodplain, and stormwater services in Oklahoma County.


  • Provides professional planning support to the County Commissioners, Planning Commission and the general public for the development and implementation of State statutes (Title 19 § 868.1), County policies and other land use plans.

  • Manages and administers the County's Subdivision Regulations, Floodplain Regulations, and a variety of zoning district regulations.
    • Reviews and approves land use permits, site plans, and floodplain cases.
    • Reviews and reports to decision-making bodies on subdivision proposals and zoning applications, including special use permits, PUD's, and amendments to the zoning and subdivision regulations.
    • Provides information to the public about regulations, procedures and land use patterns. 

  • Provides staff support to the following advisory and decision-making bodies:​

County Commissioners - Oklahoma County Commissioners make the final decision on the Planning Commission's recommendations.

County Planning Commission - The Planning Commission is established by State statutes to review various development regulations and make recommendations on their adoption or amendment by the County Commissioners. The commission is also charged with reviewing various development permit applications and making recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners. The County Planning Commission's jurisdiction is limited to the unincorporated areas of the county. Each city in the county has its own planning commission.

Board of Adjustment - The Board of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial body appointed by the County Board of Commissioners that has the sole authority to hear appeals and to grant variances from County regulations. This body conducts an official public hearing for each requested variance. The minutes reflect the actions and decisions of the Board at the public hearings.

Floodplain Management Board - Promote the public health, safety, and general welfare, to minimize flood losses in areas subject to flood hazards, and to promote wise use of the floodplain. These regulations have been established with the following purposes intended: To guide development of the 100-year floodplain within local jurisdiction consistent with the enumerated findings by: recognizing the right and need of water courses to periodically carry more than the normal flow of water; participating in coordinated efforts of federal, state, and local management activities for 100-year floodplains; and ensuring the regulations and minimum standards adopted, insofar as possible, balance the greatest public good with the least private injury.



  • Is my property located in the County or City?

    The Oklahoma County Planning Commission only has jurisdiction over property that is outside of any city's limits.

  • Can I find the zoning of my property on the Oklahoma County's Asessor's website?

The Oklahoma County Assessor's office does not deal with zoning and the information they provide on their website is not zoning related.  The Planning Commission only deals with zoning.

  • What is the zoning of my property?

When it comes to land use planning and building, Oklahoma County does not have jurisdiction within the county’s incorporated cities and towns. This means that if you want information about your zoning, about getting a building permit, or any other specific land use question, you must contact the city in which your property lies.  Oklahoma County maintains current parcel specific zoning for properties within Oklahoma County's jurisdiction.  You can contact (405) 713-1361 and staff can explain what your property is zoned and what activities can be conducted in that zoning.  You can find Oklahoma County's Zoning Regulations on our webpage.  You can also find out the zoning of your property on our webpage.

  • Does Oklahoma County issue permits for construction?

Oklahoma County issues permits for any structure that is 200 square feet or larger.

  • What are my building setbacks?

Setbacks from the roadway, rear yard and side property lines will be different depending upon your zoning district.  A staff member will help you in determining the required setbacks for your property.

  • Where can floodplain information be obtained?

County floodplain information can be obtained through the County Planning office.  Additional information regarding the National Flood Insurance Program can be found through the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Applications & Forms

Building Applications & Forms

Planning Applications & Forms

Contact Us

You may reach us by phone, or send us a message by completing our Contact Us form.

Name Title Phone
            Planning Director
Erik Brandt County Planner 405-713-7146
Clarinda Ellis Planning Assistant 405-713-1357
Markita Shaw Planning Assistant 405-713-1464
Scott March GIS Coordinator 405-713-1449   
Chris Carmon             Building Inspector 405-713-1497
Joe Mills Building Inspector             405-713-1368
Matt Keith Building Inspector 405-713-1838